Thursday, December 30, 2004

A Surreal Feeling.

For the past two mornings, the first thing I would do is to read the newspapers. But only to see the death toll increasing by thousands, and pictures of rotting corpses lying on the streets, waiting to be buried. People who survived cried in dispair as they looked on at their homes, all destroyed. Beach paradises that were once so beautiful and attractive turned into living hell. I read touching stories of villagers who offer free food and water to tourists who lost everything to the waves, monks who offered their temples for tourists to stay and rest, and people who volunteered to dive and search for bodies in the sea. Only at times like this can we see the remarkable display of unity of humans.

I can't help but feel surreal. The tsunami did not hit us because we are protected by the island of Sumatra. We are alive and safe in our own homes. I am sitting comfortably in front of my desk typing this blog, and yet millions of people in our neighbouring countries lost their homes and loved ones. We are too lucky, so lucky that we become complacent and self-centred. Maybe it will be better if we were hit too, so singaporeans would perhaps be more appreciative of what they have and treasure them.

Please help in whatever ways you can. Donate cash, clothes, food. Or simply say a prayer for those who perished. Remember how lucky we are, and treasure the people around you. (:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home