I am Back.
Apologies for the angry outburst. **see entry below**
I was thoroughly pissed off by certain events:
1. my laptop wireless connection problem
2. i wasn't allocated the tutorial time slot I desired.
3. i was upset that my dad wasn't supportive abt my decision to change major, thus making me feel less confident of changing major.
4. the fact that i am so preoccupied with so many other things EXCEPT my studies. tsk tsk.
Now, things are back to normal. Somewhat. i got my desired tutorial slot when i swapped with some fellow angelic module mate. Hoho. My laptop problem is solved too, thanks to Weiwei. ^_^
Regarding my major, I was thinking of changing from Geog to Japanese Studies. This is because I feel that I am not really up to it, doing geography modules. Somehow I have this feeling that I cant do well enough in geog to land me in a good Honours. Whereas for JS, I scored better in the previous semester, and looking at the modules, I feel I can do better. I am required to learn Japanese language in detail as part of the graduation requirements. This is my only concern as the language is not easy. I am also worried about job prospects. People always debate about interest vs. job prospects. I am very insistent on the principle of taking modules that I would enjoy, not one of economic value. I have interest in geography no doubt, but i am also interested in Japan too. And JS modules look more interesting than Geog modules. More to do with society and culture of Japan. *but* what can I do with a degree in JS? I have very superficial ideas about it. *sigh*
Well, I still have this semester to consider before I decide. Any comments or suggestions? Please feel free to give me advice...

3 Comments:
Hey...i feel u gotta analyse and see your priorities. Yes, for me, interest vs economic value, i choose interest. But lucky for me, Mass Comm has it's economic values. I know your love for Japan culture, language etc, but seriously, what are the job prospects? I really can't see much u can do with tt degree. At most u'll be liasing w Jap companies and stuff. I don't know what u can do if u get a degree for Geog. But sounds as if a Geog degree has a wider job scope right? Maby u wana see the demand for Jap specialists in Spore or other countries? I know u wana start your own business by opening a cafe w a Jap concept. Something lidat right? Well, ya, u'll need knowledge abt the lingo n culture n blah....But u can learn the language by joining other stuff like Jap club or go learn the language nxt time? Minoring in Jap probably gave u some fundamentals for further private studies? I feel the Jap thingy can be done by yourself or w e help of whatever organisations. It can also be done at a later time. But Geog, i don't think it's so easy. Just analysing stuff for ya lah. Hope it gave u some stuff to start thinking w. But any choice u make, i support u. And don't regret ya choice. :)
JS lecturers might be able to tell you more about the job aspects. Maybe there are more opportunities than we know of. Yep, Jap companies can be the place to work in (my father's company Heh.) Other than that it'd be aiming for a teaching degree. That is to be a JS lecturer. Not sure how high the chances of this are but it seems like a plausible future route to me.
But still, it is just because of that particular JS module you take in which you had a higher grade than that of your last semester Geog module. Other Geog modules might interest you a lot more when you take them and get even better results. You are using only the last semester results to conclude what you can do better in isit?
Doing a shared major or taking JS as a minor is one good option too, what your friend says :) Since you'd be still learning something you enjoy, not because you are learning for the sake of getting a degree. If so I imagine that you'll den have to plan all over again, the choice of your modules over your four years. Speaking of this maybe you can try doing this - rechoose and change your plan of modules with JS as a major in mind - and see if the change of modules feels right for you.
Talk with you more during lunchtimes, if we can meet together. *smile!*
Thanks to ning and xiaohan! (:
Post a Comment
<< Home